Raw Rice 1/2 kg (2 1/2 cups)
Moong Dal 200 gm (1 cup)
Jaggery 400 gm
Cardamom 4 pieces
Cashew Nut 10 pieces
Dry grapes 10 pieces
Ghee 50 gm
- Powder the jaggery and keep it aside.
- Powder the cardamom and keep it aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, roast cashew and dry grapes till it turns golden brown and keep it aside.
- Mix rice and Moong dal together and wash it couple of times in water.
- Add 6 cups of water and little bit of salt.
- Cook the mixture in the pressure cooker.
- Switch off the pressure cooker after 3 whistles and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and heat it again with the fire at silm level in the stove.
- Add the powdered jaggery to the rice mixture in the cooker and mix it well.
- Add the roasted mixture and cardamom to the Pongal in the pressure pan and mix it.
- Switch off the stove and serve the sugar ponga (chakara pongal) hot.